How much are we willing to sacrifice for Jesus? He sacrificed so much for us!
Here are a few ideas/questions for consideration. None of these things are bad in and of themselves. Some of these things may not even apply to you. But sometimes it can be good to stretch our thinking about how we’re living our lives and how that affects our ability to serve God.
- Are we willing to sacrifice our TV/movie/Internet/gaming time to read the Bible and pray?
- Are we willing to sacrifice activities that keep us from spending time with other believers?
- Are we willing to sacrifice marriage so we can fully concentrate on serving God (Paul spends some time discussing this issue here)?
- Are we willing to sacrifice having children of our own in order to adopt a child who needs a family or to use the money we would have spent on raising our own children to help children in poverty?
- Are we willing to sacrifice our desire for a nicer car/home/computer/TV/wardrobe so the money can be used to support ministry needs?
- Are we willing to sacrifice our music and ministry preferences to reach those who do not attend our church?
- Are we willing to sacrifice certain purchasing or lifestyle habits to avoid harming the animals and planet that God created and commanded humanity to take care of?
There are many other possibilities that aren’t covered here but this is just a jumping-off point for re-evaluating our lifestyle choices.
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?[l] Is anything worth more than your soul?” (Matthew 16:24-26)
29 “Yes,” Jesus replied, “and I assure you that everyone who has given up house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the Kingdom of God, 30 will be repaid many times over in this life, and will have eternal life in the world to come.” (Luke 18:29-30)
What are you willing to sacrifice for Jesus? What aspects of your life have you been re-evaluating lately?